Monday 24 January 2011

Examinations

Today I had a literature exam. It didn't go very well.

What really flusters me is the fact that in the run-up to today I was producing fairly good, coherent practise answers. When it came to the crunch I got blocked up and wrote very little. I will be genuinely amazed if I get a grade higher than a C. And that's precisely what I needed: a low C.

I couldn't get to sleep the night before and, right now, I am in an almost insomniac state. Just before the exam, when I needed to rest, I found myself incapable of sleeping.

In exams it is ideal to assimilate a lot of information and then to carefully organise it in a centred and focused manner. This is particularly true for this A2 exam: you need to write clearly, making sure you answer the question and that you don't go into unrelated tangents.

When it comes to exams these days I become quite obsessive about it, thinking of it constantly. I postpone my main activity, reading novels, in favour of 'revising'. The problem is that I can never revise, procrastinating all of the time, and that costs me in the end. I neither prepare myself for the examination nor do I keep myself occupied with my leisure activities. Nothing but lethargy.

If I fail this exam, which I suspect I will, it will jeopardise my chances of getting into four universities I have already applied for. The problem is that these university courses suit me more academically and, judging by the modules, they will always have something that pulls me back to work. With this A2 Gothic exam, nothing pulls me back to do it because I don't have a particularly strong interest for it.

No matter how well I prepare for the fuckers, it seems that I stumble at the final moment when writing clearly and concisely is a requisite.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I hate exams too, I like projects and practical things, but when it comes to exams I ignore the fuck out of them and then panic. My own fault.