Monday 17 August 2009

My bedroom walls 2/2

This is part 2 of the previous post. I decided to subdivide this topic into two posts as it would have been a bit too much to have it all in one big post. It would have also been too time consuming... Thanks to Sofia and Ryan for replying instantly to the previous post, too. :)

Unfortunately, the images seem to be a bit too big to be viewed fully. If you click on them, you're linked into the full thing, however.

-----------------------



This is a photograph my father framed for me of John Coltrane performing live around 1964, I believe, when he was at the peak of his powers. Coltrane is my favourite saxophonists and one of my favourite musicians. This image is astounding in itself even if you know nothing of the artist.

This is a shirt of the national team of Chile. The shirt is from 1998, a glorious era when Chile where doing spectacularly well, with players like Zamorano and Salas. I often wore this shirt while playing football as a young boy. Displaying this shirt on my wall is a reminder of great times, a treasure that ignites nostalgia.

This is a painting by Willem De Kooning. Out of all the abstract expressionism I have come across, he is my favourite. His paintings are like strange landscapes one comes across in dreams - images that don't mesh together in any logical kind of way but are extremely captivating. My parents bought me this as a birthday request, but this is the only painting print of his that's available for sale.

Underneath De Kooning I have a painting by Hiernonymus Bosch. There is so much going on in his paintings; you can look at them for 2o minutes without getting bored, discovering new facets contributing to the whole. He was a surrealist way back in the 16th century, predating the surrealists from subsequent generations by centuries. Bosch opens up the human head and exhibits our interior world. Fascinating.


This is a painting by Don Van Vliet, otherwise known as 'Captain Beefheart'. I got this painting as a birthday gift, and I deeply grateful to my parents for getting it for me. Van Vliet is a truly exceptional person.


Underneath the Van Vliet painting, I have two literary lists. The one on the left is my 'Top 10 Books' list whilst the other one is a record of all the books I read in 2008. I was up to a lot of reading that year. :)

This is an obituary of writer J. G. Ballard. Not only is he one of my favourite writers, but he has been an extremely significant figure in my life. During my psychotic episode, he was the light at the end of the tunnel... I've always felt some sort of 'contact' with him, so the news of his death came as a disappointment to me. I used to have a photograph of him on my wall (where the Godard image is now) and he died on the day I took that image off! I felt obliged to put this obituary on my wall to compensate for that. He also died a day after I finished reading his last novel Kingdom Come.

This is a little bit of art-work my sister did for me as a Christmas present. She researched into Willem De Kooning when she was told that he is one of my favourite artists. My sister is very, very gifted at art and she has done lots of other paintings and drawings which are very impressive.


This is a list of 15 records that I wrote when I was 15 years old and got published in The Wire magazine! The list also has a plug to my website which then displayed my musical recordings. Unsurprisingly, no-one visited the site. :)


Here's a shirt of Fernandez Vial, which I also used to wear to play football with. I explain what Fernandez Vial in my previous blog post.

I usually have nothing on this wall, but it currently has yet another item of Fernandez Vial memorabilia. I'm thinking of putting a more traditional painting on this wall to create an equilibrium with the more modern stuff at the other side of the room - maybe Monet or something, I don't know yet.

3 comments:

douglas farrand said...

I'd be intersted to hear your thoughts on post 1964 Coltrane. Interstellar Space, Meditations, the Olatunji concert... any of his later albums really.

Sheets-of-sound Coltrane, right at the end of his life, is where his true genius lies for me.

Talking of that era of Coltrane output, RIP Rashied Ali. Died a couple of days ago. No doubt one of the most fascinating free jazz drummers.

Simon King said...

I think his musical culmination was 'A Love Supreme' in '64. I do like his later atonal recordings, though. Especially 'Ascension', which must be the best 'big band' free jazz recording ever.

Anonymous said...

You should get Picasso's La Celestine. That one you can also look at for 20 minutes (or more) without getting bored. By far the most intriguing painting I have ever seen.